A New Departures Exclusive Excursion
20-28 October 2012
We invite you to join us 20-28 October 2012 to experience a glorious
8-night cruise-tour on the eastern Danube River as we wend our way through Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia and Hungary aboard AmaWaterways’ 5-Star MV AmaDolce. Sail with us on our 12th river cruise as we explore the wonders of the oft overlooked Balkans.
Float through a storybook landscape of vineyards, ancient ruins, magnificent castles and picturesque towns. You’ll sail the Iron Gates, discover re-invigorated Bucharest and see historic Belgrade and sample wine inIlok. All shore excursions are included; free-wheeling bike excursions are yours to enjoy. And if you’d like to relax after a hard day of activities, the MV AmaDolce features the European Wellness Center.
“Our best travel experiences in Europe.” This is how we describe our past river sailings. “The unexpected pleasure of a river cruise is the delightful small towns we stop to visit. Historic, interesting little places one might ordinarily overlook when planning a trip.” This is how four-time voyager, Jude Thompson, describes her experiences with us.
Eight days of pure bliss – where you are free to set your own agenda, decide which shore excursions you’d like to join. Or you just explore on your own. The beauty of a river cruise is that sometimes the biggest decision of the day is what entre to have at dinner; and, oh, what dinners – not to mention the other sensational meals. The staff is warm and welcoming; you’ll be spoiled rotten.
Perhaps begin your Danube Rhapsody adventure with our pre-trip in Berlin, Germany, 12-17 October, and then as we visit our favorite Bavarian town, Bamberg, Germany, 17-20 October. At the end of the cruise you can extend your stay with us as we stay on in Budapest, Hungary.
To ensure your choice of cabin a deposit must be received; so the sooner you book the better (we are already 50% sold-out).
Danke Tschüß, благодаря, Mulţumesc, Xвала, Köszönöm, Thank you!
The MS AmaDolce is a deluxe vessel carrying only 148 passengers in 71 staterooms and Junior Suites. Inside your contemporary-styled stateroom you'll find all the amenities of a fine hotel with white-on-white European bedding, a cozy sitting area, Infotainment System, hair dryer, safe, terry bathrobes, slippers, individually controlled air-conditioning and ample closet space. Every stateroom and Junior Suite on her two upper decks features full-length French balconies. The Piano Deck staterooms feature two large port holes. Beds in each cabin can be configured either as 2 singles or one over-sized queen.
Although rarely found on European river cruise ships, Junior Suites aboard our ships are extra spacious at 255 square feet. They feature a comfortable sitting area with a sofa and two chairs, floor-to-ceiling windows with French balconies and luxurious, extra spacious bathrooms with bathtubs and showers.
The boat boasts a gourmet restaurant, bar, 2 lounges and a Sun Deck with Hot Tub; the Wellness Center features a fitness center with up-to-date equipment, sauna, massage and beauty salon.
Six meals are served daily (Early Riser Coffee and Croissants, a Rich Buffet Breakfast , Bouillon, a Festive Lunch Buffet, Afternoon Tea & Coffee with Cake, Cookies & Sandwiches and a Multi-Course Dinner). There are both a Captain's Welcome and Farewell Reception, as well as nightly entertainment and dancing.
The Danube is the life-line of the Balkans. The peoples along its banks have seen the passage of Roman legions and crusading knights, the indomitable Ottomans and the proud Habsburgs. Join fellow travelers for this voyage through Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary and the enchanting eastern Danube River Valley.
We start in Bucharest which is laden with 19th Century charm. The next afternoon we motor south to Bulgaria: pretty villages and ancient, bedizened churches. We board the AmaDolce berthed on the Danube, the border between Rousse, Bulgaria and Giurgiu, Romania, where we are free to explore until the next afternoon. The next day we arrive in the late afternoon in Vidin. The Bada Vida fortress sits guard over the Danube at this Bulgarian frontier town.
Then a full day of transiting one of Europe's most awe-inspiring natural wonders, the Iron Gates, where the Danube narrows as it winds through a range of magnificent gorges between the Carpathian Mountains and the foothills of the Balkan Mountains.
We visit Belgrade, the capital of Serbia which stands on the crossroads of different cultures and customs that has made it dynamic, hospitable and warm.
The AmaDolce calls at Novi Sad, Serbia’s second largest city, one of the historical treasures of Eastern Europe. After lunch we motor to Vukovar, Croatia, for a wine tasting in Ilok followed by a tour through Vukovar’s Baroque town center.
We then cross into Hungary past fields of poppies, rye and wheat. We call at Mohács, where we can spend our day or opt for a tour to 2000 year-old Pécs. The area is made up of rolling hills, vine clad slopes with a distinctly Mediterranean feel.
Then we arrive in the jewel of the Eastern Danube, Budapest, a city of grandeur, elegance and charm. We disembark early in the day allowing for a return flight home or you can stay on with us for three days of Magyar magic.
Extend your stay
Enjoy a three night stay at the 5-star
Kempinski Hotel Corvinus
DANUBE RHAPSODY Includes:
• Private hotel transfers upon your and your traveling companions’ arrival in Bucharest.
• 1 night at the deluxe, historic Hilton Athenee Palace at the heart of Bucharest with buffet breakfast
• Private group transfer to Rousse, Bulgaria to board the MS AmaDolce
• 7 nights’ accommodation in your choice of cabins onboard MS AmaDolce deluxe river ship
• Daily shore excursion program during the cruise with English speaking guides and the use of Quiet Vox audio headsets
• Visit Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia and Hungary
• Sail though the Iron Gates, one of Europe’s most impressive natural wonders
• All gourmet meals onboard
• Free Flowing Red and White Wine from the local regions, Beer or Soft Drinks with dinner
• Free Coffee, Tea, Ice-Water and Ice-Tea are included all day. Cappuccino, Latte and Espresso can be requested free of charge during all meals! Complimentary coffee & tea station available 24 hours.
• Two Cocktail Receptions and Gala Dinners
• Bottled water replenished daily, fluffy bathrobes and slippers are provided in all stateroom categories
• Use of the Hot Tub on the Sun Deck and the Wellness Center inside including Sauna and Fitness equipment
• Use of onboard Bicycles and helmets, free of charge
• Complimentary use of the internet onboard (via flat-screen TV & keyboard in each stateroom and wireless in the two lounges)
• Complimentary in cabin movies on board
• Elevator on board (elevator does not serve Piano deck)
• Services of onboard English Speaking Cruise Director
• Deluxe document folder & baggage tags
• Escorted by New Departures’ Jerry Kelley & Brian Nystedt
• Pre-trip social gathering
Sail me away!
Piano lower deck, Double occupancy, per person $2999.00
Cello deck, Single SOLD OUT**
Cello deck, Double occupancy, per person $3799.00
Violin deck, Double occupancy, per person $3699.00
A+ Stateroom, Violin deck SOLD OUT
Junior Suite, Violin deck SOLD OUT
Deposit $750.00 per person
** **Single occupancy of double staterooms available with a 50% surcharge
$750.00 deposit per person due at sign-up; space is not held without a deposit.
Final payment due 15 June 2012.
Any booking relieved after this date must be paid in full at confirmation of space.
Timing of river landings and all shore excursions are subject to change.
Port Taxes of $147.00 per person
Cost includes only listed features; gratuities and items of a personal nature are additional.
Due to the special nature of this tour all payments are non-refundable.
Trip insurance is highly recommended
(A brochure will be sent at deposit).